July 26th- Gunnison River Cleanup
August 2-3rd Colorado River Cleanup
ONGOING VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
- Participate in an initial trail monitor training to learn protocol and data collection techniques
- On your own time, go out to your trail segment with appropriate tools and document condition of trail segments
- Help us compile a list of trail conditions, so the CCA and BLM can prioritize trail maintenance projects within McInnis Canyon NCA.
- CCA will be compiling a list of interested volunteers. Contact Bryanna at (970)263-7902 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- This year we'll have three opportunities to provide field-based educational programs to elementary and middle school kids in Mesa, Delta and Montrose counties.
- Curriculum will include history, geology, botany, ecology, archaeology, and Leave No Trace.
- Help us encourage the next generation to become stewards for our public land!
- CCA will be compiling a list of interested volunteers. Call Bryanna at (970) 263-7902 or email email@example.com
- In 2014 CCA and BLM will begin a riparian area monitoring project within Dominquez-Escalante NCA.
- If you are interested in being a long term volunteer for this project please contact Bryanna at firstname.lastname@example.org.
May 31, 2014 Trail Monitoring Workshop with the BLM
May 12-15, 2014 5th annual 3rd grade scavenger hunt was hosted in McInnis Canyon
May 3rd, 2014 Crazy about Canyons Dinner at Carlson Vineyards.
November 10 Highway Clean-Up of miles 2-4 on I-70 near Rabbit Valley exit
October 12-13 Trail Monitor Training at Rabbit Valley
September 29 National Public Lands Day Festival at Bangs Canyon
September 8th Cultural history hike in Big Dominguez Canyon led by Alyssa Leavitt-Reynolds, BLM Archaeologist
September 6th Wild and Scenic Film Festival at the Montrose Pavilion
August 28th Community BBQ in Delta at the Lions Pavilion in Confluence Park
June 14th and 16th Lecture and tour of Escalante Canyon with Bernie Musser
April 21st Trail Monitor Training for those interested in helping the BLM keep an up-to-date inventory of trail conditions to help inform management and maintenance decisions.
April 28th Highway Clean-up. Annual spring clean up of mile 2-4 on I-70 near Rabbit Valley.
February 23, 2012 CCA Lecture Series "The Archaeology of our National Conservation Areas" presented by Curtis Martin and Rich Ott of DARG.
January 26, 2012 CCA Winter Mixer at the Hot Tomato Cafe in Fruita, CO. A fun evening filled with local history - Mara Ferris' new northern Dolores documentary trailer screening and a presentation on Calamity Camp from Zebulon Miracle of the Museum of Western Colorado.
Nov 12, 2011 Highway clean-up. Annual fall highway clean up in coordination with West Slope ATV Associations annual fall Rabbit Valley Recreation Area clean up.
Oct 29, 2011 Trail monitor training in Dominguez-Escalante NCA led by Rosa Brey.
Oct 21, 2011 Volunteer invasive weed removal at the Curry Property outside Hotchkiss, CO in partnership with NFRIA-WSERC.
Oct 15, 2011 Trail monitor training in Devil's Canyon, led by Rosa Brey.
Oct 8-9, 2011 Cottonwood Club fundraiser and river restoration weekend.
September 24, 2011 - National Public Lands Day volunteer opportunities with the BLM. Two opportunities with the Uncompahgre Field Office, Katie Grablander. One opportunity with the Grand Junction Field Office, Fran Parker.
Septbember 16, 2011 - Plant inventory on a conservation easement in Hotchkiss, CO with NFRIA-WSERC. Led by Rosa Brey and Anna Santo, Director of Water Programs for NFRIA-WSERC.
September 6, 2011 8-10 am - First trail monitor training in Devil's Canyons in the McInnis Canyons NCA. Led by Rosa Brey, Outreach Coordinator for CCA.
August 13, 2011 8-10 am - Geology hike in Devil's Canyon in the McInnis Canyons NCA. Led by Vanessa Calder, Geoscience Interpretive Writer at the Grand Junction BLM Field Office.
May 21, 2011 9-11 am- Wildflower hike on the Pollock Bench Trail in the McInnis Canyons NCA. Led by Deb Kennard, Assistant Professor of Environmental Sciences and Technology at Mesa State College.
May 24-25, 2011 Nature Scavenger Hunt in Devils Canyon. CCA will be hosting students from Rimrock Elementary (3rd grade) and East Middle School on this field trip to discover more about the natural environment and animals in the McInnis Canyons National Conservation Area
Saturday, April 2, 2011 - Adopt a Highway Cleanup in Rabbit Valley, 9-11 am.
Saturday, April 2, 2011 - Post Cleanup Social at the Hot Tomato, 11 am.
Monday, April 4, 2011 - CCA serves beer, soda, sandwiches to workers at COPMOBA's Monday Night Trail Maintenance, 7:30 pm
Sunday, February 13, 2011 - Sweetheart Snowshoe/Hike in Devils Canyon, 12-2 pm - Read More
Thursday, January 20, 2011- Winter Mixer, 6 pm, Hot Tomato Cafe in Fruita
November 7, 2010: Special 10th anniversary recreational and educational outings throughout the NCA
November 6, 2010: 10th anniversary celebration at the Devils Canyon trailhead
November 4, 2010: Showing of "Stories from the Land: McInnis Canyons National Conservation Area" at the Radio Room at KAFM, 7 pm
October 9-10 2010: Cottonwood Club River Trip
September 29, 2010 - November 4 2010: McInnis Canyons Art from FMC art competition on exhibit at the Gallery at The Radio Room at KAFM. Open 10 am through 1 pm Monday through Friday
September 24, 2010: Celebration in Art and Film --Premiere of Stories from the Land: McInnis Canyons National Conservation Area and announcement of art competition winners at the Avalon Theater